This building currently houses Wayne State University’s Hillberry Theater – one of the two theaters at the University. (The other being Albert Kahn’s first Temple Beth El located on Woodward Ave, now the Bonstelle Theatre.) Here is a photo of the beautiful terra cotta details created by the New York Architectural Terra Cotta Company for Smith, Hinchman and Grylls.
Built in 1917 in a neoclassical style, the theatre was remodeled by WSU in 1964 to accomodate 500 patrons. For some time, the Hillberry’s neighbor, the David MacKenzie House, was used as their green room for make up and costume changes.
Photos (c) 2007-2011 Jack P. Johnson & Jennifer Baross